The ASEEES Internship Grant Program provides MA, PhD, and professional school students and recent graduates (i.e. those who have graduated no more than two years prior to the competition deadline) with grants that make it possible for them to accept unpaid or underpaid internships in areas directly related to Russian studies. The program promotes the entry of young scholars with considerable Russian Studies expertise into sectors outside traditional academia, including not-for-profit and non-governmental organizations, business/trade councils, government, media, the arts, museums, publishers, and other sectors. These internships will be substantial in duration and responsibilities, lasting two months for summer internships and four months for internships during a semester in the regular academic year. The grant offers $2,000 a month, to be paid directly to the grantee (intern).
Please read carefully the grant eligibility on the program website before starting the application process. Only recent graduates from US institutions, and current students at US institutions are eligible to apply.
Application Deadline: February 14, 2021, 11:59PM, Hawaii Time
- Completed online application form below
- Outline of career objectives (max. 500 words)
- Description of the organization for which they hope to work or have already secured an internship, and how your internship would relate to Russian studies (max. 500 words)
- Curriculum vitae and description of previous work, travel and educational experiences that have prepared them for the kind of internship they are proposing (max 2 pages)
- Graduate transcripts
- Two (2) letters of professional reference from from individuals, who can speak to your preparedness for the proposed internship and your background in Russian studies, such as an advisor or employer.
- Review the program website and the application form first to make sure you are eligible and that you have the necessary information and documents to upload.
- You can save an incomplete draft of the application and return to it later. However, once you hit "Submit", you will not be able to edit.
- It is your responsibility to make sure that your reference letters are submitted by your referees. You should let them know that they will receive an email instruction once you submit your application. The deadline to submit the reference letters is February 21, 2021.
- The application deadline is firm. No late applications will be accepted.
- Do not send any applications to ASEEES via e-mail or mail. All documents must be uploaded below. Do not send your transcripts, proposals or other documents to the ASEEES office. They will be discarded.
All files are reviewed by a committee of three made up of ASEEES members and former diplomats in the ASEEES Diplomats Circle. Applicants will be notified of their status by March 13, 2021. At this time they will be free to pursue unpaid or underpaid internships with this expected funding in hand. Disbursal of funds to grantees will be contingent upon a thorough vetting process of proposed host organizations to ensure that internships correspond with the project’s mission to support Russian studies beyond academia, as well as confirmation from host organizations that the internship exists and that the intern has reported for duty. In the case of underpaid internships, ASEEES will work with the host institutions and the grantees to make sure the grantee receives a combined stipend of $2,000 per month or has an extended duration for the internship.